New(to me) MTRP land aquisition

<<

bankerboy

Dirt Buddha

Post Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:33 am

New(to me) MTRP land aquisition

I was listening to NPR this morning (yes, I am THAT old) and they spoke about a new 1300 acre addition be brought into the MTRP. I figured they were talking about Spring and Oak but they were not. This will be a non-contiguous parcel of land to the north received from the builders of Stonebrook. The radio program described it as north of Mission Tails and just east of the 15. have not been involved in any way with the park so I am completely unfamiliar with the land.

I was hoping somebody might have more info on the plans and uses of this land? Maps?

BTW, they also interviewed the project head of the Sycamore Canyon Landfill. He says that in 30 years when the landfill closes, he hopes it can be turned over to the park too. Nice to know that maybe in my lifetime I can take my powerchair out there. :roll:
Matt Bartelt
<<

EML

MTB Guru

Post Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:11 am

Re: New(to me) MTRP land aquisition

I heard that same story this morning. That's the first I've heard about that parcel, at least as it was described in the story -- it could be that's the land they've been talking about as "North Sycamore" simply described a different way.
Smilies permanently disabled
<<

Dirtrider

Rebel with a Cause

Post Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:28 am

<<

racerbill

Rebel with a Cause

Post Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:19 am

That's great we got more land, now when they say hiking trails I'm hoping they mean multiuse biking trails.
<<

pmo

Singletrack Warrior

Post Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:55 am

two things struck me as "what a bunch of clowns"

"So how are people going to even know it's Mission Trails? Dorothy Leonard says they’ll put up a big sign."

Sounds like an excellent idea. Put up a big sign. It will blend right in with nature.

and

""You can always say God has taken care of it just fine all these years,” said Madaffer. "

I don't want to offend any of my god fearing friends but this has to be one of the most ignorant things I've read to come out of a (former) politicians mouth with regards to open space and park land. Unbelievable
<<

random walk

Dirt Buddha

Post Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:24 pm

EML wrote:I heard that same story this morning. That's the first I've heard about that parcel, at least as it was described in the story -- it could be that's the land they've been talking about as "North Sycamore" simply described a different way.

If you go by the MTRP master plan, that is the "West Sycamore" area, a.k.a. "Rancho Encantada," with the possible exception of a 20-acre sliver of land located on the north side of Sycamore Cyn Rd; this was subject of a CAC agenda item last year and it was stated the city & MTRP didn't want that 20 acres.

It is all the more ridiculous that we can't have a legitimate connector between MTRP-South & Sycamore / MTRP-North. Among other things.
Attachments
MTRP_WestSycamore_Concept_PW3.pdf
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
I'll be Frank with you...
<<

EML

MTB Guru

Post Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:25 pm

^^^ That's what I meant -- West Sycamore.
<<

bankerboy

Dirt Buddha

Post Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:55 pm

So this will be what the new trail out of the Sycamore (Poway side) will be accessing? Nice, if the map is correct. Not a lot but more trails are a good thing.
Matt Bartelt
<<

Dirt Buddha

Post Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:30 pm

they have already built some of the new trails, not bad...but could be better. Nice to connect to sycamore from scripps ranch without driving through poway. If the trail ninjas went to work and built some stuff on the development open space, there would be some nice loops.
"Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire
http://tinyurl.com/joinSDMBA
<<

Dirt Buddha

Post Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:39 pm

Below is the map showing the area. purple and, red is what I wanted and submitted (& others) to the mtrp mp comment. They built the "a" trail:
and some of the purple trails down to poway. And sycamore, far eastern side. None of the southern stuff.
"Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire
http://tinyurl.com/joinSDMBA
<<

pmo

Singletrack Warrior

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:17 pm

just in case money becomes a topic of concern...
Attachments
test_jpeg.jpg
<<

EML

MTB Guru

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:18 pm

^^^ Do you have any idea how many bathrooms they could build with that money? I do . . . about 5 or 6!
<<

evdog

Dirt Buddha

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:53 pm

Would be interesting to know why $1.1M became "permanently restricted" during the year
<<

pmo

Singletrack Warrior

Post Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:19 am

evdog wrote:Would be interesting to know why $1.1M became "permanently restricted" during the year

the more I read, the more things there are that become very interesting.
To include a former council member, who had a large supporting role of MTRP, whose (new) wife is now a lobbyist for Cogentrix (power company with proposed plant). Seems like a conflict of interests to me.

I've voiced my opinion many times and have had a finger shook at me and told that I was accusing people of "corruption". At that time, I did the right thing and politely mentioned I thought that money and the park was a bit mis-managed and that I was entitled to have an opinion.

I have various theories which I will not type on a public message board but the laundry will hopefully be done one day.

What bugs me most is the park receives (I believe) roughly 10k+ a month for the antennas and there are people who control the spending of that as if it were their own. Just like they treat the park as it were their own property.

If you'd like, we can meet at the amphitheater and enjoy a flute concert whilst discussing the failure of adequate trails in the park.
<<

pmo

Singletrack Warrior

Post Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:22 am

Ah a quick google on non-profit permanently restricted funds:
--
Permanently Restricted: These funds are restricted by the donor for a designated
purpose or time restriction that will never expire. The intent is that the principle
balance of the contribution will remain as an investment forever, and the nonprofit will
utilize the interest and investment returns, such as with an endowment.
--

I'm sure one could dig and find out who the donor was.

With the political heavyweights that sit on the council/board for the park, I'm sure there would be nooooooo shady accounting taking place, none at all. That would just be dumb.... unless someone really, really knew the system and ....
Oh I should shoosh.
Next

Return to Mission Trails Regional Park