Interesting finding on steering angles

<<

Paul Micheletti

Singletrack Warrior

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Interesting finding on steering angles

Hi Folks,

I've been riding my 3 year old Ventana El Rey 29er since it was new with a Reba fork set at 80mm. I've had lots of troubles steering this bike, as it really loves going straight. Every steering mistake I've made over these 3 years has been steering wide on turns because this bike just didn't want to to make the turns.

This is a BIG bike. It's a 23" frame. It's so big that it doesn't even look like a 29er because the wheels are proportioned to the bike. I'm sure you folks that have ridden with me have laughed at me as I called this bike the "QE II" for it's size and it's infinite turning radius.

I'm getting fit for a custom frame by Brendan at Siren bikes. I sent him a photo of me on this bike, and he told me it would fit better if I boosted the fork from the 80mm setting to the 100mm setting. I thought he was nuts because everyone knows that increasing a fork length increases the head-tube angle which slows down the steering. The last thing I wanted to do was slow down the steering on this bike as I was already steering wide everywhere. But I trust Brendan as he knows bikes much better than I do and I had my my Reba rebuilt and extended at North of the Border.

What a freaking difference. This bike now goes exactly where I want it to go without hesitation. I've had several rides on this new fork length and this bike just seems perfectly dialed. I cannot believe that a small 20mm difference on this gigantic bike made such a huge difference in handling. I'm having so much more fun on this bike now.

I thought I would pass this story along since it completely flys in the face of conventional wisdom I've read on the interwebs regarding steering angles.
The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with Beer. - Egyptian Proverb from 2200 BC
<<

Scott A

MTB Guru

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Interesting finding on steering angles

Nice. A longer fork also changes the amount of trail and lengthens the wheelbase. Glad you're getting a Siren. I love my John Henry!
Honey badger don't care.
<<

Los

MTB Guru

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Nice! Thanks for sharing
Carlos O
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
<<

Paul Micheletti

Singletrack Warrior

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:58 pm

Scott A wrote:Nice. A longer fork also changes the amount of trail and lengthens the wheelbase.

This is exactly why I thought the idea was crazy. How can having a longer wheelbase allow me to turn easier? But somehow it works!

Scott A wrote:Glad you're getting a Siren. I love my John Henry!

I'm jazzed, but my Song will be a while coming. In the meantime I'm enjoying the Ventana. I will have to part out the Ventana once I get the Siren because I can't afford to buy all new components to go with the new bike. I also don't need to keep 2 XC geared bikes.
The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with Beer. - Egyptian Proverb from 2200 BC
<<

Basil Jones

Singletrack Warrior

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:18 pm

That is really good info Paul.

Great choice on the Siren BTW. That should make George jealous big time! About time someone turned the tables on him.
<<

Paul Micheletti

Singletrack Warrior

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:24 pm

George doesn't stay jealous very long though. It's tough to keep up with two new bikes a year. Have you seen his new Jet9? ;-)

The extended fork got a tough test yesterday on the Crosby switchbacks. The last time I rode there (with the 80mm fork), I was grabbing the pole at every switchback to pull myself around the corner. This time (with the 100mm fork), I was able to ride all but one really tight switchback. That one was a true wheelbase limitation, not the fork.

Return to Shop Talk