Bike Park Development County WideAfter over 10 years of advocacy for bike parks in San Diego, there are now several bike park and pump track projects bubbling up around the County They are all in various stages of planning and development.
The next park to break ground will be the Greg Cox Bike Park in the Otay Valley Regional Park.
You can explore all of these projects on this Interactive map of all bike parks open or under consideration in San Diego County
Sweetwater Bike Park
The Sweetwater Bike Park opened on January 4, 2020 with over 1000 riders in attendance. Two public community meetings were held in early 2018 to gather input from the public on this project and many other planning meetings with County staff. The conceptual design was completed by KTUA and the contract has been awarded to S&B Engineering who will manage the build, and Schneider Grading lent their artistry to the major elements of the park including 2 flow trails, 3 pump tracks, and 3 progressive jump lines.
The park is FREE and is open daily from 9:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. (winter hours) weather permitting. Park will be closed after rain events.
Follow the Sweetwater Bike Park Facebook page for updates. Also on follow on Instagram.
You can also check this County of San Diego webpage for updates on closures due to weather or maintenance.
Sponsorship opportunities are available as well as signage and naming considerations. Contact ExecutiveDirector@sdmba.com for more information.
SDMBA has committed to raising $10,000 annually to support a part-time County staff position to assist with Bike Park operations. You can contribute directly to that effort HERE.
Pacific Highlands Ranch Pumptrack opened in mid 2019 built by Pardee Homes and now managed by the City of San Diego. This is a concrete surfaced facility with two progressive pumptracks that is open to bikes and skateboards. Located at 5977 Village Center Loop Road, San Diego, 92130.
OTHER PROJECTS IN DEVELOPMENT:
- County of San Diego Projects:
- Otay Valley Bike Park: The County of San Diego is actively working on plans with HilRide for a small bike park in the Otay Valley Regional Park in partnership with the City of Chula Vista and the City of San Diego. The park should break ground early in 2021 and open by Summer 2021.
- Alpine County Park - in conceptual phase. Public meetings held in 2019 and continue in the fall of 2020.
- Spring Valley All Wheels Park - public meetings held in fall of 2020. Predominately at skate park but designed for bmx, scooters, etc. as well.
- City of Carlsbad - Veterans Memorial Park: several public meetings held in 2018-19. Planning on going.
- City of Escondido - Multiple properties being considered including Mountain View Park. Pumptrack at Jesmond Dene park is approved and funded. Planning is ongoing.
- City of San Marcos - Bradley Park: development in planning phase. Public meetings held in 2019.
- Chula Vista Elite Athlete Training Center as part of Chula Vista BMX operated by Tyler Brown has a small pump track and progressive jump lines. Open limited hours so please check their hours of operation before visiting.