Past Projects and Accomplishments
- Bike Tool Stations supported by REI
- Bike Park Development
- Bell Box Program - Borrow a bell to support Trail Etiquette.
- Summer 2019: Bridge improvements at Mount Laguna Big Laguna Trail and Ahwee Trail at Black Mountain Open Space Park
- Spring 2016: Tijuana River Valley - Access was authorized for cyclists on over 15 miles of existing trail that was previously closed to bikes.
- Maintenance and trail improvement projects are ongoing at Crestridge Ecological Reserve, Daley Ranch, Mission Trails Regional Park, Rancho Mission Canyon Park, Noble Canyon/Laguna, Florida Canyon, Penasquitos Canyon/Del Mar Mesa, Rancho La Costa Preserve, Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve and more.
- Trail Crew Leader Training - Each year SMDBA holds classroom and training sessions to teach best practices in sustainable trail building and maintenance. Two 2 day trainings held during the 2019-20 season with over 25 participants.
- Youth and education program partnership with San Diego Sprockids
- Sweetwater Bike Park opened on January 4, 2020
- Over 50 trail work days in the 2019-20 trail season. In the past three years, over 8000 trail work hours have been logged by over 600 individual volunteers. Volunteers have also contributed an average of 5000 hours annually helping with special events, rides, educational events, advocacy efforts, etc.
- Over 120 community events each year including the Archipelago Ride and the Mount Laguna Trail Fest.
- 1 mile of new trail built at Pacific Highlands Ranch in partnership with Pardee Homes
- Del Mar Mesa Loop Connectors including Deer Canyon.
- 2019 California Trails and Greenways Conference in San Diego- SDMBA supported this annual event which attracts trail professionals and dedicated volunteers from around the state to share best practices and provide networking opportunities.
- 2020 County of San Diego Parks and Recreation Department Community Member of the Year
- 2019 San Diego County Bicycle Coalition Golden Gear Award - Advocate of the Year
- 2017 Trail Stewardship Summit hosted by SDMBA and the County of San Diego
- Grants received from REI, the County of San Diego, the National Environmental Education Foundation and others have allowed SDMBA to increase capacity and effectiveness. Recent grants are supporting US Forest Service plans, various bike park projects, bike tool stations, and the purchase of a motorized wheelbarrow and a mini excavator.